Leisure fishing/ Sport fishing is fishing with a rod and reel. It is fishing for the fun of it although there are professional fishermen that make a living by competing in fishing tournaments.
They vary according to the
- Area fished,
- Species targeted,
- Personal strategies of the angler,
- Resources available.
It ranges from the aristocrat cart of fly fishing elaborated in Great Britain, to the high-tech methods used to chase marlin and tuna.
- Sport fishing is usually done hook, line, rod and reel rather than with nets or other aids.
- Among the most common offshore salt water game fish are marlin, tuna, sailfish, shark, and mackerel.
In North America,
- Freshwater fish include trout, bass, pike, catfish, walleye and muskellunge. The smallest fish are called pan fish, because they can fit whole in a normal cooking pan. Examples are perch and sunfish.
In the past, sport fishers, even if they did not eat their catch, almost always killed them to bring them to shore to be weighed or for preservation as trophies. In order to protect recreational fishery, sport fishermen now often:
- Catch and release,
- Sometimes tag and release,
- Involves fitting the fish with identity tags, recording vital statistics, and then sending a record of it to a government agency.
Angling is one of the most popular ‘sports’ in the UK, with an estimated 3.3 million people participating in the sport on a regular basis. Fishermen can be seen sitting beside rivers and lakes. In England and Wales the most widely practiced form of angling is for
- Coarse fish (freshwater fish other than salmon or trout). The rivers and lochs of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are the main areas for Salmon and trout fishing
- Separate organizations, represent game, coarse.
- Sea fishing clubs in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and there are separate competitions in each of the three disciplines.
There are no reliable statistics of the pastimes of Chileans, but it is believed that fishing is the third or fourth most popular hobby.
- Simple and low-cost fishing gear is the most popular.
- The most popular bait used includes earthworms, fresh-water crab, shrimp, snails, small fish, and white beans.
- The more complex fishing gear has gained in popularity with imported rods and reels running less than 5,000 Chilean pesos, and fly fishing gear selling for less than 50,000 Chilean pesos.
- Fly fishing is the fastest growing sector in sport fishing in Chile.
- Tourists have come to know Chile as the destination for salmon fishing.
Recreational Fishing Competitions (tournaments) are a recent innovation in which fishermen compete for prizes based on the total weight of a given species of fish caught within a predetermined time.
- This sport evolved from local fishing contests into large competitive circuits, especially in North America.
- Competitors are most often professional fishermen who are supported by commercial endorsements.
- Other competitions are based purely on length with mandatory catch and release.
- Either longest fish or total length is documented with a camera and a mandatory sticker or unique item, a practice used since it is hard to weigh a living fish accurately in a boat.
Sport fishing competitions involve individuals if the fishing occurs from land, and usually teams if conducted from boats, as well as specified times and areas for catching fish.
- A score is awarded for each fish caught. The points awarded depend on the fish’s weight and species.
- Occasionally a score is divided by the strength of the fishing line used, yielding more points to those who use thinner, weaker line.
- In tag and release competitions, a flat score is awarded per fish species caught, divided by the line strength.
- Usually sport fishing competitions award a prize to the boat or team with the most points earned.
In India, leisure fishing is not very popular even though we have enough water bodies, and not to blame the apathy of governing and tourism department but more or less it is the responsibility of the people to start exploring about these competitions and other fishing activities which is not only about commercial fishing but also about making it a hobby.
MarineStore.in is India’s first and only online marine store and was conceptualized/ developed by Esmario Export Enterprises Pvt Ltd, a reputed firm in the marine industry for nearly five decades. Esmario has always worked to introduce world class marine products and have provided after sales services with complete satisfaction for all of it’s customers.
MarineStore.in has taken the initiative to create awareness among the general public and to spread leisure fishing as a part of their hobby by introducing them to a wide range of Marine Boats, Kayaks, Pool Floats and other marine accessories at MarineStore.in
Esmario started in the year 1968 as a sea food processing and export unit. In the year 1986 it diversified and was appointed the sole authorized distributor in India for all Mercury Marine (USA) products. For nearly three decades they had been doing sales; providing quality service support, genuine parts & accessories, and warranty support for all their international partners.